Bullying Prevention Month
Bullying is a huge problem in and outside of our schools today. With so many people having access to the internet, cyberbullying has become a new avenue for targeting individuals. According to 2010 statistics provided by Bullying Statistics, 2.7 million students were victims of cyberbullying.
Other bullying statistics:
- Over half, about 56 percent, of all students have witnesses a bullying crime take place while at school.
- A reported 15 percent of all students who don’t show up for school report it to being out of fear of being bullied while at school.
- There are about 71 percent of students that report bullying as an on-going problem.
- About one out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- Some of the top years for bullying include 4th through 8th graders in which 90 percent were reported as victims of some kind of bullying.
- There are about 282,000 students that are reportedly attacked in high schools throughout the nation each month.
So what can we do to help our children and our students?
1. Kids Health has several resources ranging from Teacher’s Guides for Bullying to Teaching Kids Not to Bully to Helping Children Deal with Bullying.
2. Stories of Us is a website dedicated to “Promoting Positive Peer Relationships.” The website has resources for educators, students, and the community. They even have videos you can share with your students.
3. Make Beats Not Beat Downs is a non-profit organization using art and music to help both bullies and those that are bullied.
4. Stomp Out Bullying is initiative that gives not only resources for dealing with bullying, but works with teens to become ambassadors for the cause. Stomp Out Bullying also has a hotline that people can call for advice.
Share your resources for the prevention of bullying in your school and community. Together we can make a difference.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to stay up-to-date with everything IA!
Leave a comment on the blog or email us at beSocial@interactiveachievement.com!